Reviews of Our Various Travels

Hopefully you'll find my reviews helpful as you plan your own adventures. I am forever grateful to others who have so willingly shared their experiences and inspired me to discover new horizons.
I have discovered that the beauty of discovery lies not only in amazing sites, but in the perspective we bring to each view. I have gone to a new place with huge expectations, and been sorely disappointed. Alternatively, I have gone to a place with very low expectations, based on other reviews, and wondered if we had indeed gone to the same place, for I enjoyed it so much. Each of us brings our own unique life experience, hopes and open-mindedness to each adventure, and will each have a different experience than even the person standing next to us. I choose to celebrate our differences.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Hubbard Glacier in Yakutat Bay

This was as close as we'd get to the glacier -
there was ice debris everywhere


June 9, 2011 - Our first day of the cruise brought us to Hubbard Glacier in the afternoon.  We were very disappointed to find that the weather would prevent us from getting closer than 8 miles from the glacier.  Due to the rain it was very actively calving, and Yakutat Bay was littered with little icebergs.


One of the not so little icebergs



Hoping the fog might lift, we head toward the glacier


Despite our disappointment at
missing the glacier, there was no
denying how beautiful the bay was.


Next up - an absolutely spectacular day in Glacier Bay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment